Tuesday, August 19, 2014

It's all downhill from here.....

Since signing up for the Ironman Lake Placid, I've had this reoccurring dream/vision of the decent into Keane.  You see I'm terrified of going fast.   

After volunteering at this years Ironman; having  heard so many peoples inspiring stories, I felt the inner desire to join this amazing group of people.  Each person was more inspiring; giving me the confidence to take this journey. But what I didn't think about was my fear of speed.  That is, until we were leaving Lake Placid for the day and descending that "Hill" 

 In my car I was grabbing for the "oh shit handle" and squirming in my seat; how the heck am I gonna do this on my bike, because I know for sure there is no "oh shit handle"!

Chris and I talk about this hill almost everyday. The conversation always goes like this.  

Me:  I don't know how I'm going to get down that hill

Chris:  You have good bike handling skills and good brakes.

Me: I'm gonna need REALLY GOOD brakes

Chris: You might reach speeds of 40-50 MPH, you will be fine

Me: No, I'd be more comfortable with 30-35 MPH

Chris: That won't happen.

Me: GULP


The first time I crest the hill, I should look like a true competitor....

But until then, I imagine myself looking like this.....

I've been biking for 20 years, it should realistically be the least hardest part of the entire day, so why do I keep freaking out about it.

I'm sure every first time IM'er has their fear factor....What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment